Entertainment can be any pleasant activity that serves as a rest, because it is not compulsory, and that interrupts usual work. Having a little fun is good and necessary since man needs rest to restore physical and mental strength.
Through entertainment, we can seek to:
- Towards yourself: rest, relieve the fatigue of the body and mind to work better afterward. Improve personal training. Develop some talents.
- Towards others: rendering them a service different from the usual service, creating new friendships, or maintaining them.
- Towards God: seek greater closeness through a more relaxed relationship, without the usual concerns.
Is it better to work or be entertained?
Both are good and necessary, each in their own time. For small children, entertainment takes the biggest place. When he matures, the man understands the great importance of work. On the other hand, thinking only about having fun prevents the formation of a personality.
Does entertainment make people happy?
There are three scenarios:
- Reasonable entertainment: it rests people and contributes to happiness.
- Exclusive entertainment: it does not make a man happy because he lacks work balance. The human heart needs to develop its talents and serve others.
- False entertainment (alcohol, sex, drugs): they do not rest or entertain, but rather they lower the dignity of the person.
Characteristics of correct entertainment?
There are a few conditions that characterize correct distraction:
Entertainment should not be compulsory or enslaved.
We are faced with something quite basic, which is included in the concept of entertainment: what is compulsory and what enslaves are not entertaining. The moment entertainment becomes obsessive, it loses its charm and no longer rests. This obsession with fun often occurs in people – not just young – who lack ideals or have not discovered the greatness of work.
Entertainment must occupy its place in the scale of values.
Among the activities we carry out, there are some more urgent, others more important, some more necessary, others more incidental. A balanced person succeeds in organizing his time according to a scale of values, giving priority to the tasks that deserve to occupy the first place in our dedication. A little order is necessary.
Entertainment is not the most important thing in life.
It should not come before other things, but rather take its second place in a balanced life. Entertainment should never be an easement, neither absorbent nor principal. Therefore, it must be moderate, taking into account other occupations.
The very concept of entertainment involves the fact that we are faced with something secondary. Entertainment in itself includes the notion of rest, and rest goes hand in hand with prior fatigue.
Entertainment includes a change of activity to take care of something different – different from the usual. But that requires that there is a usual job. Entertainment is not necessary by itself, but to work better afterward.